Compare American Fridge-Freezer Insurance
- Quickly and easily compare American Fridge-Freezer Cover from the UK’s best insurers.
- Get protection against breakdown and accidental damage, starting today.
Get American Fridge-Freezer Cover From The Following Providers:
Sort Offers By
- One of the most comprehensive packages on the market covering white and brown goods
- Insure as many items as required, to the value of £5,000
- Cover for unlimited kitchen and audio/visual appliances
- Rapid response UK network. parts, labour and call-out included
- Unlimited number of appliances included in your policy
- Covers parts, labour and call-out for all household brands
- Electrical and Mechanical breakdown covered across all brands
- Cover for kitchen and audio / visual appliances
- Affordable 'Repair or Replace' policies covering all brands
- Cover against accidental damage, mechanical and electrical breakdown
- Extended warranty and cover designed by Anthea Turner
- 'Fix or Replace' policy with cover provided from day 1
- Tailored extended warranty cover for your American Fridge Freezer and Range Cooker
- Unlimited claims and call-outs for mechanical or electrical breakdown
- Single or Multi Appliance Policies with further discount on annual subscriptions
- Mechanical and electrical breakdown cover
Affordable Insurance for your American Fridge-Freezer
American fridge freezers are the real heart of your kitchen. They make life easy for everyone by offering excellent, dependable food storage space and are truly missed if they break down.
If this happens suddenly, you could end up with a lot of wasted groceries. Taking out an insurance policy will help cover any costs encountered by having to replace or repair your appliance as soon as possible.
What Is An ‘American Fridge-Freezer’?
American fridge freezers offer you a lot more space than standard fridge freezers and do the job of several individual appliances, so save space in your kitchen too. They also often come with a lot of added benefits, such as fast-freeze functions and ice or water dispensers as standard.
As a result, they are a lot more complicated and elaborate than ordinary standalone freezers and refrigerators, and there is consequently a lot more scope for things to go wrong with them.
- Affordable Insurance for your American Fridge-Freezer
- The Benefits of Insuring Your Appliance
- What Will Your Policy Cover?
- Are There Any Incidents Not Covered?
The Benefits of Insuring Your Appliance
Having an insurance policy for your appliances, also known as extended warranty, gives you real peace of mind when issues arise which can be otherwise pricey to fix. Insurers will help you to cover most (if not all) of the cost of repairing or replacing your appliance after the manufacturer’s guarantee has run out. A manufacturer’s warranty usually lasts for about a year, but most devices start to go wrong long after this period. Fridge freezers have an average lifespan of 10 to 20 years.
Most policies will cover the cost of engineer callout, delivery costs and any extra charges which may arise. If you do have to pay an excess charge or a certain percentage of the total cost, it will likely be a significant saving in comparison to the full price.
What Will Your Policy Cover?
No two policies are the same, and therefore all offer different aftercare options. Check with your particular supplier as to what they provide, but most usually cover call-out costs, labour costs, parts replacement and a brand-new appliance if yours is beyond repair.
Depending on the exact policy, your provider will be able to put you into contact with a qualified local engineer who can help diagnose the exact problem, order and fit replacement parts and possibly even replace the entire appliance without you having to do any work.
Issues which are likely to arise with your American fridge freezer are extensive as they are such complex appliances. The temperature controls may stop working, meaning your food is not kept in optimum conditions and is spoiling quickly. The door may stop closing correctly, again affecting the internal temperature and effectiveness of the appliance. If yours has an added water cooler or ice making function, this could cease working or become blocked or disconnected from the mains water supply. The coils or condenser fan at the back of the fridge may also attract dust and debris, becoming obstructed and unable to work correctly to regulate temperature. As with all electricals, you should always seek professional help rather than trying to fix the issue yourself.
Are There Any Incidents Not Covered?
Most insurance companies will not protect you against cosmetic damage, or breakages caused by mishandling / mistreating the appliance. This includes instances where you have used inappropriate cleaning products, not followed manufacturer’s instructions thoroughly or have not used the apparatus in the manner for which it was made.
The majority of refrigerator insurance policies will also not cover you against any costs which have arisen due to the product breaking down, such as spoiled produce. Make sure your policy provider covers your specific appliance too; some only cover certain brands or types of fridge freezer, and some also have an age limit in place.
Pre-existing faults cannot be covered, such as if something is already not working at the time of taking out the policy. There may be an initial period where your insurer cannot pay out for any claims made or will charge you a hefty excess. This is usually within the first 30 days of your policy starting.
If you require a new appliance, the cost and burden of removing the old one is usually not taken account of and will have to be dealt with separately. Some retailers may offer this service at an extra cost, or you can contact your local council to see if they offer a removal service.
There may also be a limit on the number of callouts or claims you can make for the duration of the policy, which is possibly not ideal if you have covered multiple appliances.
Is American-Style Fridge Freezer Insurance Worthwhile?
Your American fridge freezer is likely to have cost thousands of pounds when you first bought it, and the best models still retail for around that price. Therefore, replacing yours with a similar model if it breaks would no doubt set you back a lot of money. Repairs on such appliances are also costly. Insurance can help you with these costs, as well as helping you out ASAP.
You will require appliance insurance if:
- Your manufacturer’s guarantee is about to run out. Leaving your American Fridge-Freezer uninsured can be costly should something abruptly go wrong. Guarantees usually only last for about a year, so make sure your appliance isn’t left without cover for a few days while you sort out a new policy.
- Your refrigerator is expensive. Compare the overall cost of your chosen extended warranty policy against replacing your appliance, bearing in mind what a similar model would cost in a few years’ time. If you wouldn’t be able to exchange it for a much lesser price, insurance provides you with added security and obtaining a like-for-like model. As your American fridge freezer likely cost thousands of pounds, cover is likely to be worth it in the long run.
- You’d need it again ASAP. Insurance would prevent you having to wait until you can cover the full cost of a new appliance, which could take a while. You can have a good-as-new or even a brand-new appliance before you even start to miss it. Fridges and freezers are essential to keep your produce fresh and being without one would bring many households to a halt.
How Much Does Protection Cost?
There is a wide range of prices available, starting at just a few pounds per month to over £20. Consider how much you are willing to pay, and also how long you will be paying it for to get the total price. Cheaper policies may not offer as much aftercare and there could be a higher excess for you to pay should something go wrong.
It is also worth considering that different providers offer several policies with different levels of care. The most basic policies will maybe cover replacement or reparation costs up to £500 (requiring you to pay any extra encountered) and may not take into consideration any callout costs from engineers, or delivery costs from retailers. More substantial policies could cover problems up to £3000 and all delivery/engineer charges. The overall difference in price you’d pay to be covered by the more extensive option may be small in comparison, too.
Paying upfront for a specified period may also prove to be cheaper depending on the insurer if you are in a position to do so. Pay-monthly plans may have interest added, as you can usually cancel them at any time. Most providers offer coverage for a year or two for a specific price as well as pay-monthly options, so it is worth enquiring.
Why Doesn’t Your Home Insurance Cover Your Appliance?
Home contents insurance will probably cover the cost of any perishable food wasted when your appliance stopped working, but it doesn’t cover the cost of repairing or replacing the piece of equipment.
They often only cover damage caused by floods or fires, rather than mechanical or electrical failure. The total sum of the food may be too small to bother claiming anyway, but if you don’t have anywhere to store new food then you are still at a loss.
Is a Single- or Multi-Appliance Policy Best for You?
If you have several appliances which you would like to insure, a multi-appliance policy may be best as they are often cheaper than protecting everything separately and you have peace of mind that you are covered by one single piece of paperwork. You also don’t have to keep on top of several renewal dates and direct debits if paying monthly.
There are kitchen-specific policies available which will cover all of your white goods, such as fridges, freezers, washing machines and dishwashers. There are also policies available which will cover an unlimited amount of electricals all over your home so that you can include your television and satellite box too.
Do look around to see if there are any insurance policies available explicitly catering to your appliance, especially if it was expensive. The extended warranties which manufacturers offer are usually a lot more tailored to your specific branded appliance, and the engineers who work with the insurance company will likely be very experienced in looking after your particular piece of equipment and will have official replacement parts to hand. This is worth bearing in mind if you want your appliance to receive the best aftercare possible.