Compare Landlord Insurance

  • Cheap Landlord Appliance Insurance to Protect Your Assets and Property Investment.
  • Accident and Damage Cover for Your Buy-to-Let, Commercial, Student or other Tenancies.

Get Landlord Insurance From The Following Providers:

Sort Offers By

Surewise Gold Appliance Insurance
  • One of the most comprehensive packages on the market covering white and brown goods
  • Insure as many items as required, to the value of £5,000
Monthly Cost
From £21.15
Maximum Appliance Value
Claim Limit
Excess £35. Unlimited number of claims. Individual claim limit of £800.
Surewise Silver Appliance Insurance
  • Cover for unlimited kitchen and audio/visual appliances
  • Rapid response UK network. parts, labour and call-out included
Monthly Cost
From £17.15
Maximum Appliance Value
Claim Limit
Excess £30. Unlimited repairs up to the value of items covered. Simple online policy management.
Surewise Bronze Appliance Insurance
  • Unlimited number of appliances included in your policy
  • Covers parts, labour and call-out for all household brands
Monthly Cost
From £10.15
Maximum Appliance Value
Claim Limit
£200 per claim
Excess £20. White goods only. Electrical and mechanical breakdown covered. Repair or replace policy.
Surewise Single Appliance Insurance
  • Electrical and Mechanical breakdown covered across all brands
  • Cover for kitchen and audio / visual appliances
Monthly Cost
Maximum Appliance Value
Claim Limit
£300 per claim
Monthly or Annual payment. UK call centre. Rapid response times. Online policy management.
Row.co.uk Landlord Insurance
  • Landlord Home Emergency and Appliance cover, optional boiler and central heating protection
  • Qualified engineers available 24/7 - no admin, call-out fees or charges for parts and labour
Monthly Cost
from £6.59
Maximum Appliance Value
Claim Limit
Optional excess upto £95. Cover from £1,000 to £5,000. Optional extra cover for Boilers and Central Heating. Covers plumbing, drainage, security and utility supply.
Kaput Appliance Insurance
Kaput Landlord Insurance
  • Cover unexpected breakdown costs with appliance insurance for landlords
  • Parts, labour and call-out included. Repair or Replace policy
Monthly Cost
from £3.37
Maximum Appliance Value
Claim Limit
£500 per claim
Multi-appliance and annual discounts available. Covers against appliance breakdown in rented properties. 100% UK coverage.

Landlord Cover for Appliances and Households

If you are a landlord, you will want to ensure that your buildings and tenants are covered for anything which could go wrong inside your property. You also want to make sure that you aren’t left with any unexpected bills, especially if you have an extensive portfolio of buy-to-let residences.

All insurance policies differ, and there is no set standard of cover that they necessarily need to provide. Always read the terms and conditions of any contract before you take it out, as well as checking it is entirely for you.

What is Landlord Insurance?

Landlord insurance is a broad bracket term for several smaller types of landlord protection, including buildings insurance, contents insurance, fixtures and fittings insurance or loss of rent. We compare landlord appliance insurance, including boiler breakdown cover and contents protection.

Landlord appliance insurance is designed to protect property owners and tenants from incidents and domestic device breakdowns at rental properties. These occurrences can be anything from minor malfunctions which make life inconvenient for your tenant or significant predicaments which make your property uninhabitable for a time.

It acts as an extended warranty for your appliances, fixtures and fittings. When you originally bought them, they probably came with a manufacturer’s guarantee which protected them for around 12-24 months. Insurance is designed to give you this same cover, but for a longer period.

Is it Required?

There is no legal obligation to take out insurance policies if you are a landlord, but if you have a mortgage on the property, it is possible that the lender will require you to take out a policy to protect your tenants from all incidents, including appliance breakdowns.

Ordinary home insurance policies are not validated if you apply them to a rental property, even if it is only your family members who are residing at your property. There is a higher risk to your property if you rent it out, and ordinary home insurance often does not consider this.

Who Needs Landlord Appliance Insurance?

Any individual who owns a property which they rent out in a furnished state should consider obtaining landlord cover. Tenants are responsible for insuring any items they keep in the property, but it is your responsibility to protect anything you provide, as well as fixtures and fittings.

It doesn’t matter whether you rent out your property as a professional business opportunity or are just looking for a bit of a second income generator. Even if you only own one property, the cost of suddenly having to repair a boiler or replace an oven or fridge would be quite substantial.

You may even provide your tenant with expensive equipment such as televisions, home cinema systems and small kitchen appliances as well as the essentials. You would not want any of this becoming damaged due to either electrical fault or the fault of your tenant.

Landlords have a responsibility to maintain any properties which they rent out and trying to get things back on track again could be not only expensive but also time-consuming. You don’t want to leave your tenant without hot water or the ability to prepare food safely for long.

What Should A Good Policy Include?

Appliance Replacement

  • A policy which will replace your appliances should they be irreparable or beyond economical repair.
  • There are a few policies which may conclude that if your appliance cannot be repaired there is nothing they can do – you will not only be faced with replacing the machine but will also have paid for cover that has ended up being ineffective.
  • Appliance insurance which offers like-for-like replacements certifies that your tenant doesn’t have to wait until you can purchase a brand-new appliance. At the very least, look for a policy which will offer to pay a significant amount of the cost of replacing your device, such as up to your cover limit.

No Age Restrictions

  • You should try to look for a policy which doesn’t have any age restrictions in place. The protection that a plan delivers may massively reduce should your appliance be over a certain age, or they may not protect it at all.
  • This would not only leave you with a hefty bill in repair costs but may also mean it is more economically viable to replace your appliance – at your own expense.

No Brand Limitations

  • There should also be no limitations in place regarding the brands which can be covered. Some policies may refuse to cover a product by a particular manufacturer.
  • If you ever do replace the appliance, you’ll want to make sure you aren’t restricted with the products you can buy.

No Repair Limitations

  • Also, check if there is a limit on the number of repairs you can claim for in a 12-month period.
  • If there is, you could be left with expensive bills should you need to claim again, especially if you have several appliances covered.

Cover of All Extra Charges

  • Some policies may only cover the cost of replacements or repairs, and not callout and labour fees, or delivery charges. The former two can be particularly expensive, so try and look for a policy which will cover them.

What If I Rent Out A Flat / Student Accommodation / Bedsit?

If you rent out individual rooms in a house to many separate households, it is considered a house of multiple occupation. Ordinary home insurance will not cover the property, so you still require landlord insurance as well as your HMO certificate from the local council.

With flats, a freeholder may arrange buildings insurance on everybody’s behalf, but any contents within your flat will not be protected under this. You may wish to take out separate landlords’ insurance which covers appliances or insure them separately.

If you own the entire building of flats, ensure you obtain a policy which covers the rental aspect of your activities as well as your entire collection of furnished appliances in the building.

Prices may vary depending on which type of property you own, as well as whether your flats were purpose-built or converted.

What Does Landlord Appliance Insurance Typically Cover?

All landlord insurance varies, so always read through terms and conditions before you take out a policy.

However, it typically covers the cost of repairing any mechanical or electrical breakdowns which have occurred (up to the limit of your policy). It will ensure that you aren’t faced with any huge bills, as you will only have to pay an excess and anything beyond your plan pay-out limit.

Some may also protect against accidental damage. The critical difference between ordinary home insurance and landlord insurance is that it probably isn’t you (the policyholder) who is the primary user of the appliance.

You, therefore, can’t rely on your tenants to use your appliances to the manufacturer’s guidelines, as much as you’d like to think they were trustworthy. They usually don’t protect against malicious damage, however.

It will also ensure that your tenants have the use of any appliances again as soon as possible, as the provider will refer your claim on to an official engineer ASAP.

Gas Boilers:

  • Repairs for any problem which renders the boiler unusable.
  • Replacement of any heat exchangers or thermostats/controls
  • Repair of any motorised valves
  • Possible replacement of boiler should it be beyond repair


  • Repairs for abrupt mechanical or electrical faults
  • Possible replacement if the restoration is beyond economical repair.

What Is Generally Not Covered?

There may be some age limitations placed upon the items which you can cover under your landlord appliance insurance. This is approximately eight years old but varies wildly between different plans.

As with all insurance policies, landlord appliance insurance will not cover your appliances should they stop working due to neglect, such as if your tenant has not undertaken general maintenance regularly like defrosting the freezer or cleaning the oven.

Pre-existing faults are also ineligible, hence why you often cannot claim within the first 14 days of a policy and may be charged excess if you claim within the first 30 days.

You also can’t claim for the replacement of any components, such as fuses and bulbs. These are your responsibility.

You won’t be covered if no fault is found with the appliance or if it was a simple fix such as re-configuring the original factory settings. You will be responsible for paying any labour and callout costs, so you may wish to check the problem first before you contact the insurance provider for help.

You also won’t be covered due to storm damage, such as floods, lightning, earthquakes or frost.

How Much Does A Policy Cost?

Always accurately estimate the full cost of what you are insuring before you take out your policy, to ensure that you have enough cover. So, if you are taking out contents and appliance insurance, take into consideration how much the entire collection cost and would be to replace.

The price of your monthly premiums will likely change depending on the full maximum value of everything you are insuring, as well as what it is you’re guaranteeing. But, as a guide, they often start around the £5 per month mark for basic distinct boiler or appliance breakdown cover. This can reach over £20 with more extensive plans which cover multiple breakdowns across your property.

There are also plans available which allow you to cover every electrical item you supply to your tenants, no matter what room they’re situated in. You will often pay more for this extensive cover, but it will probably be cheaper than insuring everything separately or in smaller groups.

What If I Have Multiple Properties?

There are plans available which will cover appliances across several different properties, for full peace of mind that you are covered should something go wrong. Some will even cover up to 25 lets.

This provides you with one individual renewal date and premium payment – cutting hassle and giving you a lot less to worry about.


It saves you time

  • Ringing around for an engineer who can help sort your problem, as well as arranging for there to be someone in the house at the time, can take a lot of time.
  • Insurance companies will do most of this for you, using their dedicated approved engineers.

Protects against damage caused by tenants

  • Your tenants are probably trustworthy and will look after everything inside your property, but on the rare occasion they aren’t, insurance could mean you will not be penalised for any damage caused by them.

You won’t face any unexpected bills

  • You probably have enough outgoings every month without having to buy a new appliance for your tenants. You don’t want them to have to wait until you can get it all sorted and pay the amount due, so insurance covers a lot of this cost in a short period.

Things To Consider

Is it cost effective?

  • If the white goods which you provide inside your property are quite simple, they will probably not have cost a tremendous amount of money.
  • You have to weigh up the mean cost of the appliances against what you will be paying in monthly insurance premiums, as well as how much the appliances will cost to replace.
  • Bear in mind that basic appliances are getting cheaper year on year. You may, therefore, want to risk going uncovered and buy a new device should one of yours go wrong.
  • There are probably no obligations in place to provide your tenant with anything more than the basic appliance which does the job and is the most affordable on the market, even if it is a temporary fix.

Likelihood of damage

  • Most tenants don’t damage the property of their rented home, knowing that this could mean they are penalised or don’t receive their deposit back when they move out.
  • If you think it is incredibly unlikely any damage will take place, there may be no point in insurance if you know that you would replace the appliance in the case of a breakdown.

Likelihood of breakdown

  • Think about your immediate funds and the likelihood of any appliances breaking down and needing repairing.
  • If you are doing everything with a completely fresh start, such as having renovated your newly acquired buy-to-rent property, the likelihood that your appliance will break down in the next few years is unlikely.

Benefits of Comparing Landlord Appliance Insurance

Every landlord has different requirements, despite the overall aim being the same.

The amount of cover you want to receive and the maximum cover amount you wish to have, as well as the exact appliances in your property and the tenants you have in your property.

Thoroughly comparing the insurance available to you means you will be getting the best coverage for your exact needs and will not be paying for something you either don’t need or won’t be adequate to your particular requirements when the time comes to claim.

Insure My Appliance